1. CONTEST PERIOD: The Investor Education Fund Classroom Challenge Contest (the “Contest”) begins on Monday, October 29, 2012 at
12:00:01 pm ET (the “Contest Start Date”) and ends on Friday, December 14, 2012 at 11:59:59 am ET (the “Contest Closing Date”).
2. ELIGIBILITY: The Contest is open to students in grades 4 through 12 who are residents of Ontario and whose teacher has agreed to submit an entry on his/her/their behalf. Students who are under 18 years of age must have consent of a parent or legal guardian to participate in the Contest. The teacher whose name appears on the Contest registration form will be deemed the “entrant” and must submit the entry on behalf of the student(s)/classroom. For the purposes of administering the Contest and awarding the prizes, entries will be divided into one of three categories (each a “Category”) as follows: students in grades 4 to 6 are in Category 1; students in grades 7 to 8 are in Category 2; and students in grades 9 to 12 are in Category 3. If students from multiple grades representing more than one Category participate together to submit an entry, the entry will be included in the Category corresponding to the highest grade level of any participant (e.g., if students in grades 6 and 7 participate together to submit an entry, the entry will be included in Category 2). The Contest is not open to: (i) employees, representatives and agents of the Investor Education Fund (“IEF” or “Sponsor”), participating Contest suppliers, and each of their affiliates, advertising and promotional agencies; (ii) Contest judges; and (iii) person domiciled with any of the above.
3. HOW TO ENTER: No purchase necessary. To enter, visit Classroom Challenge (the “Website”), complete the online registration form (including the title of your video, a brief description (100 words or less) of your video, the names of all students involved in the submission, and the name of the teacher who is submitting the entry), and follow the instructions to upload an original video in English or French (maximum of two (2) minutes) that responds to the question, “What are you doing to Get Smarter About Money?” (the “Video”). You may also download your Video onto a CD or DVD and mail it, along with a copy of the completed registration form to:
ATTN: Investor Education Fund
36 Toronto Street
To obtain a copy of the registration form, contact:
Investor Education Fund
20 Queen St. W. Suite 1907
For each student participating in the Contest who is under 18 years of age, the teacher must obtain a permission form signed by the student’s parent or legal guardian prior to submitting the entry, and must provide a copy of all signed permission forms to Sponsor before December 17, 2012. An entry may be submitted on behalf of an individual student (an “Individual Entry”), a group of students, or an entire classroom. Students may participate in more than one Video, however there is a limit of one (1) Individual Entry per student. Submissions must be received by the Contest Closing Date. Online entrants will be notified by email that their entries have been received.
4. SUBMISSIONS: Videos must be in mp4, wmv or mpg format with a maximum file size of 50mb. Videos must be original, must not have been made with the assistance of a professional and cannot have been submitted in association with another contest or promotion of any kind or exhibited or displayed publicly through any means. All Videos will be screened by the Sponsor and only those Videos that comply with these Rules & Regulations and are deemed by the Sponsor to qualify will be uploaded to the submission gallery on the Website (the “Submission Gallery”). Videos will be posted on the Submission Galley indefinitely, but may be taken down after the winners are announced upon request of the entrant.
Videos must not be defamatory, trade libelous, pornographic or obscene, and must not contain, depict, include or involve, without limitation, any of the following: nudity; alcohol/drug consumption or smoking; explicit or graphic sexual activity, or sexual innuendo; crude, vulgar or offensive language and/or symbols; derogatory characterizations of any ethnic, racial, sexual, religious or other groups; content that endorses, condones and/or discusses any illegal, inappropriate or risky behaviour or conduct; personal information of individuals, including, without limitation, names, telephone numbers and addresses (physical or electronic), except with consent of the individual to whom the personal information relates; commercial messages, comparison or solicitations for products or services other than products of Sponsor; conduct or other activities in violation of these Rules & Regulations; and/or any other content that is or could be considered inappropriate, unsuitable or offensive, all as determined by the Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion.
Videos that do not conform to the requirements of these Rules & Regulations, all determined in the Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion, will not be eligible and are subject to disqualification at the sole and absolute discretion of Sponsor. Any Video that the Sponsor deems, in its sole and absolute discretion, to violate the terms and conditions set forth in these Rules & Regulations will not be posted, or even if posted, will be removed and/or ineligible. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion and at any time, to modify, edit or remove any Video.
5. REPRESENTATIONS/WARRANTIES BY ENTRANTS: By entering the Contest, entrants represent and warrant that: (i) they have the exclusive, worldwide, perpetual rights to all intellectual property associated with and/or included within and/or shown in the Video, and that Sponsor’s use of the Video will not infringe upon the intellectual property or other rights of any person; (ii) the Video is an original work, was made without the assistance of a professional and has not been submitted in association with another contest or promotion or exhibited or displayed publicly through any means; (iii) all applicable permissions were obtained, including permission to use any locations featured in the Video, and permission from any individual (or his/her parent/guardian, if the individual is a minor) who appears in the Video; and (iv) neither they nor anyone else has engaged or taken part in (or induced or encouraged anyone else to engage or take part in) any activity or conduct in connection with the Contest that: (a) may or is likely to harm or create a risk of harm, physical or mental injury, emotional distress, death, disability, disfigurement, or physical or mental illness to any person, other living things or any property; (b) is or may constitute a crime, unlawful or non-consensual conduct (e.g., conduct that could lead to criminal prosecution), tortious conduct (e.g., conduct that could lead to civil liability) or the violation or infringement of the rights of any other party; or (c) violates any of the terms or conditions of these Rules & Regulations.
6. GRANT OF LICENSE: By entering the Contest, entrants: (i) grant to the Sponsor a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, edit, translate, distribute, perform, display, sublicense, create derivative works from, and otherwise exploit the Video, in whole or in part, on a worldwide basis, and to incorporate it into other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed, including for promotional or marketing purposes; (ii) waive all moral rights in and to the Video in favour of the Sponsor; and (iii) agree to release and hold harmless the Released Parties (defined below) from and against any and all claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trademark infringement or any other intellectual property related cause of action that relates in any way to the Video. If requested, entrant must be able to provide to Sponsor (in a form acceptable to Sponsor), evidence of compliance with these Rules & Regulations, including required permissions and/or intellectual property agreements, in order to be eligible for the Contest. If necessary, entrant will sign any necessary documentation that may be required for Sponsor or its designees to make use of the non-exclusive rights entrant is granting with respect to the Video.
7. DETERMINATION OF POTENTIAL WINNERS: The potential Contest winners in each Category will be determined through the process outlined below:
i. Voting: Eligible submissions that are posted on the Submission Gallery will be available for public voting from Wednesday, December 19, 2012 at 12:00:01 pm ET until Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 4:29:29 pm ET (the “Voting Period”). During the Voting Period, visitors to the Submission Gallery will be able to vote for their favourite Video by following the online voting instructions. Limit one (1) vote per person per Video during the Voting Period. All votes are subject to verification. If it is discovered that attempts were made to: (i) vote more than one (1) time per person per Video during the Voting Period; (ii) use any automated, script, macro or robotic program(s) to submit votes; or (iii) engage in systematic voting from the same computer/IP address; then it may result in the disqualification, in the sole and absolute discretion of the Sponsor, of the corresponding votes.
Subject to verification by the Sponsor, the five (5) entrants in each Category whose Videos receive the highest number of valid votes in the applicable Category during the Voting Period will be declared the “Finalists”. The chances of being selected as a Finalist in a Category depends on the number of valid votes received by your Video during the Voting Period as compared with other Videos in your Category. In the event of a tie in votes, the Sponsor will conduct a random draw between the submissions that are tied to determine the entrant that will be declared a Finalist.
ii. Judging: The Finalists’ Videos will be judged by individuals chosen by the Sponsor based on the following criteria: financial acumen (33%), creativity (33%), and entertainment value (34%). The top scoring Finalist in each Category will be eligible to receive the Grand Prize for that Category. The next two highest scoring Finalists in each Category will be eligible to receive a Finalist Prize. In the event of a tie, Sponsor will conduct a random draw from among the tied Finalists to determine the potential winner and the entrant selected in the draw, in addition to otherwise complying with these Rules & Regulations, will be required to correctly answer, unaided, a time-limited mathematical skill-testing question to be confirmed the winner. The chances of being selected to receive a Grand Prize or Finalist Prize depends on the calibre of Finalists in that Category as determined by the judges based on the judging criteria. All decisions of the judges shall be final in all matters relating to the Contest.
8. PRIZES: One (1) Grand Prize and two (2) Finalist Prizes will be awarded in each Category.
Grand Prize: The Grand Prize winner in each Category will receive:
- One (1) financial literacy leadership plaque (ARV: $50)
- One (1) gift card valued at $200 to be used for a classroom pizza party
- Individual prize packs (consisting of gift cards and IEF-branded merchandise) to be provided to each student in the Grand Prize winner’s classroom (total ARV of prize packs: $500)
In addition to the items listed above, the Grand Prize Winner in Category 3 will also receive:
- One (1) “Funny Money” Presentation to be presented at the Category 3 Grand Prize Winner’s school at a date and time to be determined by Sponsor, working in coordination with the classroom teacher and the school (ARV: $5,000).
Finalist Prize: The Finalist Prize winners in each Category will receive:
- One (1) financial literacy leadership plaque (ARV: $50)
Prizes will be awarded to the teacher whose name appears on the registration form and NOT to any student or group of students. The teacher must accept the prize on behalf of the student(s)/classroom identified on the registration form and must sign any required documentation, including but not limited to a liability/publicity release. No prize substitutions or cash redemptions allowed, except that Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, substitute a prize (or portion thereof) of equal or greater value.
9. GENERAL: The potential winners will be determined by the Contest judges following the Voting Period. Once the potential winners have been identified, Sponsor will make a maximum of two (2) attempts to contact the potential winners using the contact information provided on the registration form. Before being declared a winner, each potential winner must sign and return a standard Declaration and Release Form, including a publicity release, within the time specified by the Sponsor. If applicable, the potential winner will also be required to correctly answer unaided a time-limited mathematical skill-testing question administered in the Declaration and Release Form. The potential winner will not receive the prize if he/she does not respond within the specified time period, if the Declaration and Release Form is not returned within the specified time period, if he/she fails to correctly answer the skill-testing question (if applicable) or if he/she is not otherwise in compliance with the Rules & Regulations.
The Contest is subject to the Rules & Regulations and all applicable federal, provincial and local laws. Entrants agree to be bound by the Rules & Regulations and any and all decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding in all respects. In the event that a potential winner is determined by the Sponsor to be ineligible for any reason, including by reason of failure to comply with these Rules & Regulations, he/she will be disqualified and will not receive the prize, and an alternate entrant may be selected by the Contest judges to become a new potential winner, using the same selection criteria described above.
All submissions become the property of the Sponsor. Proof of sending is not proof of receipt of entry. Online entries must be made only be the original, manual keystrokes of the individual entrant. Use of any automated systems including robotic or form filling software to enter or participate is prohibited and will result is disqualification of all entries by anyone using such assistance. The Sponsor assumes no responsibility for incorrect or inaccurate capture of entry information, technical malfunctions, human or technical error, sending or printing errors, lost, delayed or garbled data or transmissions, omission, interruption, deletion, defect or failures of any telephone or computer line or network, computer equipment, software or any combination thereof. Entry materials or data that have been tampered with or altered are void.
The Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify, amend, extend or suspend the Contest for any reason, including if, in the opinion of the Sponsor in its sole discretion, the Contest is not capable of running as originally planned or if the administration, security, fairness, integrity or the proper conduct of the Contest is corrupted or adversely affected, including by reason of infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond its control. The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of the Rules & Regulations or otherwise in a disruptive manner. Any attempts to deliberately damage the Website or the Submission Gallery or to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent of the law.
The Sponsor shall not be held responsible for any errors, negligence, injury (including death), loss or damage (including property damage) that may arise or occur in connection with the Contest or from the acceptance, use or misuse of a prize, including any damage to an entrant’s computer equipment, system, software or other property damage or any combination thereof, or from uploading or downloading any material to or from the Website or Submission Gallery. By entering, entrants release and hold harmless the Sponsor, its parent, affiliated and related companies, subsidiaries, divisions, all advertising, media buying and promotional agencies, the Contest judges, and all of their respective directors, officers, shareholders, employees, representatives, agents, successors and assigns (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from any and all liability for any injuries, loss or damage of any kind, including property damage, arising from or in connection with participation in the Contest or acceptance, use or misuse of a prize.
By accepting a prize, the winner agrees to waive all recourse against the Released Parties if the prize or a component thereof does not prove satisfactory, either in whole or in part, or if factors beyond the Released Parties’ reasonable control prevent the prize or any part of the prize from being awarded or fulfilled. The Sponsor makes no express or implied warranties or conditions of any kind with respect to any prize or prize activity offered.
By accepting a prize, the winner consents to the use by the Sponsor of his/her personal information, including his/her name, comments and/or photo, image or likeness, the name of the school, the city the school is located in, and the Video for advertising/publicity purposes worldwide and in all media, without further compensation. The first name and last initial of any student participating in a winning Video may also be posted on the Website, provided consent has been obtained from the student’s parent or legal guardian.
11. GOVERNING LAW: The Contest and the Rules & Regulations will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Province of Ontario and the laws of Canada applicable therein.